Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Another Very Ominous Sign

Thanks to my friend, The Mound, for passing this on to me. It is not good news.

The Tyee reports the following:
As Arctic sea ice melts, one of the forces doing the melting is the Arctic Ocean itself.

No other region on the planet is warming as fast as the Arctic, where a balance of currents, ice, salinity, and sunlight has been disrupted.

This video by Hakai Magazine on the 'new Arctic' explains the latest research on how this is happening, from warm currents flowing north from the Atlantic and Pacific to drifting ice floes stirring the warmer saltier water up to the icy Arctic surface.

The rapid melting of Arctic sea ice has been named one of the most important global markers of climate change.
I was not able to embed the video, but you can see it here.

Meanwhile, NASA reports that Arctic sea ice is now declining at a rate of 13.4 percent per decade.



None of us should be resting easy.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I grow increasingly pessimistic, Owen, And here in Southern Ontario, we are experiencing our second heatwave in two weeks, and drought is rampant. I've even had to start watering my drought-resistant perennials. The signs are everywhere.

      Delete
  2. It's all very terrifying. Yet so many people I know keep planning more children, laughing at my concern for their future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We humans find it very hard to push our egos into the background, don't we, Marie?

      Delete