Saturday, August 30, 2014

Time To Revisit The Question Of Mandatory Voting?

In her column today, Susan Delacourt suggests that it is. While my own opposition to mandatory voting, the reasons for which I outlined in an earlier post, remains unchanged, she does offer a rather tantalizing reason for its consideration:

Some of the dumbing-down of discourse, in particular, has taken place because political campaigns have become preoccupied with simply getting out the vote (often with shiny baubles) rather than a debate of ideas.

If it would mean the end of the notorious Conservative 'narrowcasting' to its base, with their repugnant and divisive appeals to the basest instincts of voters, there might indeed be some merit to the concept. I have had my fill of this sort of thing:







4 comments:

  1. Lorne, although Susan Delacourt makes an interesting point but I believe voting ability/rights must not be curtailed. Both King Harper and Repugs in U.S. want to suppress voting rights using the excuse of photo identity. When Cons are bent upon doing that then there is something really wrong and they want a limited group of voters to vote who will more likely vote for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last thing this cabal wants to see is more people voting, LD. they have done everything in their power, in my view, to send a cynical message to the majority that voting is a waste of time.

      Delete
  2. Lorne, I would like to propose a compromise. As each poll closes, the number of non-voters is tallied. Then those votes will be consigned to me and I will cast them on a riding-by-riding basis in accordance with my conscience. In this way there shall be no vote uncast or uncounted. You may trust me to be both benign and benevolent. Trust me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, Mound. What could possibly go wrong?

      Delete